What is microneedling?
Microneedling is an non-invasive treatment that uses tiny needles to create controlled micro-injuries into the dermis of the skin. Micro-needling treatment promotes induction of the skin’s self-repair mechanism. The body’s response to these small traumas is to boost natural healing, and repair the skin with new collagen and elastin. The sterile micro-needles create mini injuries, which is enough to prompt the deeper layer of skin to rebuild, yet does not pose the risk of permanent scarring. As the skin repairs itself with renewed collagen, the result is smoother, firmer, younger-looking skin.
What are the Benefits of MicroNeedling?
- Improved fine lines/wrinkles
- Minimizing large pores
- Acne/atrophic scarring
- Uneven skin tone
How long is the microneedling Procedure?
The procedure is done in the office and takes approximately 20 minutes. Most patients prefer to apply numbing cream to the face before the treatment for about 30 minutes. Plan for your visit to last about one hour.
Where is microneedling performed?
This transformative treatment is performed right in the office of Face Forward Houston. You can relax in our lounge chairs of the med spa while you numb, and treatment is done in the same room. Many patients opt for a vitamin IV drip, B12 shot, or other treatment at the same visit. Aesthetic Nurse Practitioner Lucy Chen tailors each treatment to the patients need, based on years of training and experience.
What areas of the body can benefit from microneedling?
Not only does the MicroNeedling target skin concerns on the face, it can be used to treat wrinkles, scarring, acne. It is also used on the body! It is a great treatment for addressing stretch marks, scarring, skin laxity from weight loss, and hair restoration. In all treatments the body’s natural healing response is stimulated, creating rejuvenated skin.
What serums are used during microneedling?
We offer the MicroNeedling treatment with two options:
- Hyaluronic Acid – Targets hydration and plumpness of the skin.
- Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP)– This serum is your body’s own personal growth factor extracted by doing a blood draw performed by our Medical Assistants. The blood is then spun which separates the PRP from the hemoglobin (the red protein in the blood). This treatment is commonly known as the true “Vampire Facial” and is great for addressing all areas of concern. It is also an entirely all natural treatment.
How many sessions of microneedling are recommended?
Face Forward recommends that patients commit to at least 3 sessions of micro-needling, spaced 4-6 weeks apart. You will see results after one treatment, but it will take 2-3 weeks after the final treatment to see maximum results.
Does it hurt?
Pain is very minimal. We recommend that patients plan to come 30 minutes before the treatment to numb. Topical numbing cream is applied to the face and allowed to sit for 30 mintues. This ensures a comfortable treatment.
Patients can expect to feel a slight vibration with this treatment after a topical numbing agent, making it pain free and tolerable.
Recovery & Downtime for MicroNeedling
(Results & recovery may vary)
- Day 0: Most patients leave the clinic with mild-moderate pinpoint bleeding along with redness.
- Day 1: The skin can feel warm, and some mild swelling may occur. The skin will look slightly red, as if you got a sunburn.
- Day 2: Mild-moderate redness, tight & dry is a common feeling for day two. The skin may begin peeling.
- Day 3: The skin may still feel tight and dry and some mild peeling can occur for some patients. Day 3 is usually the peak for peeling.
- Day 4: The skin will be nearly done peeling and you will begin to see the soft smooth skin that is now at the surface. You need extra moisturizer at this time.
- Day 5 -7: The skin is done peeling, but may be slightly red. You may begin using the Oxygentix make up (sold at Face Forward) to cover any redness. It is very important to keep your skin moisturized at this time and to use a physical block sunscreen.
Your Micro-Needling will be performed in Dr. Regina Rodman‘s surgery center located in Houston, TX